Catechism Of The Council Of Trent
For more than four centuries it was known simply as The Roman Catechism – the source, guide and standard for all other catechisms. Commissioned by the Council of Trent, written under the supervision of Saint Charles Borromeo, and promulgated by Saint Pius V in 1566, it was the most comprehensive and authoritative statement of Catholic doctrine ever published.
An important resource in our time of doctrinal confusion offering precise, simply – worded answers to questions about the Faith in a style different from more recent catechisms. This 1923 translation by the Dominicans John A. McHugh and Charles J. Callan is unsurpassed for accuracy and readability, and features many useful extras.
All the doctrines of the Faith are expounded under four headings: The Apostles’ Creed, The Sacraments, The Ten Commandments, and the Lord’s Prayer. Includes a complete “Sermon Program” for Sundays and Feasts linking doctrinal material in the Catechism to the Epistles and Gospels. Contains complete texts of definitions and dogmatic statements since Trent, subheadings for ease of reading & quick reference, useful citations to passages of Saint Thomas Aquinas and others. Translator’s introduction gives historical background, extremely detailed Table of Contents and Subject Index.
The Council of Trent, held in the sixteenth century, was one of the Church’s most important Ecumenical Councils. It was presided over by Popes Paul III, Julius III, and Pius IV. The Council played a major role in the Counter-Reformation against Martin Luther’s principles and was itself a significant reform conference. Its main objectives were to condemn the doctrines of Protestantism, effect a reformation in the Church’s discipline, make known the fact that the Church’s interpretation of Scripture is final, and define the relationship of faith and works in relation to salvation. Also an important point of discussion was the Real Presence and sacrificial nature of the Eucharist. The Council of Trent convened in 1545 and ended in 1563.