“Degradation of a Bishop” (Degradatio ab ordine pontificali) was released by Pope Benedict XIV on March 25, 1752 in Pontificale Romanum, and published on July 5, 1873 by Vatican printer Masison H. Dessain of Mechelen Belgium, and authenticated by the then Primate of Belgium and Archbishop of Mechelen, Victor Cardinal Dechamps.
This priceless original, one of the few copies that survived the book’s post – Vatican II destruction, was part of the personal library of the late moderator of the Catholic Traditionalists Movement, Bishop Blaise S. Kurz, and is today securely kept in the CTM’s archives’ building in Westbury, New York.
Fr. Gommar A. De Pauw has personally made this English translation from the Latin original, stating: “I vouch for its correctness. Rather than having them legally protected by international copyright, I prefer to herewith give unrestricted permission to reprint both the photostatic reproduction and its translation, provided due credit is given, address included, to: Catholic Traditionalist Movement, Inc., 210 Maple Avenue, Westbury, New York 11590.”
“Degradation of a Bishop” is a valid form that should be applied TODAY for the degradation of any Bishop who does not preach the Catholic Doctrine.
“Degradation of a Bishop” (Degradatio ab ordine pontificali)
- If the degradandus (the person to be degraded) is an archbishop, the degrator (the Pope or a papel substitute) removes the man’s pallium (archiepiscopal stole), saying: “WE DEPRIVE YOU OF ALL THE PREROGATIVES (RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES) OF THE PONTIFICAL DIGNITY, OF WHICH THIS PALLIUM IS A SYMBOL, BECAUSE YOU HAVE ABUSED THEM.”
- Next, whether the degradandus is archbishop or mere bishop, the degradator removes the man’s miter, saying: “THE MITER, EMBLEM OF THE PONTIFICAL DIGNITY, IS HEREBY REMOVED FROM YOUR HEAD, BECAUSE YOUR EVIL ADMINISTRATION HAS DISGRACED IT.”
- Next, one of the assistants gives the degradandus the book of the Gospel, which the degradator pulls from the man’s hands, saying: “GIVE THE GOSPEL BACK, BECAUSE, DESPISING GOD’S GRACE, YOU MADE YOURSELF UNWORTHY OF THE PREACHING OFFICE, OF WHICH YOU ARE HEREWITH PROPERLY DEPRIVED.”
- Next, the degradator removes the degradandus’ ring, saying: “IT IS PROPER FOR US TO PULL OFF THIS RING, THE SIGN OF FAITHFULNESS, BECAUSE YOU HAVE SHAMELESSLY RAPED GOD’S VERY OWN BRIDE, HIS CHURCH.”
- Next, one of the assistants gives the degradandus a crosier, which the degadator takes from the man’s hand, saying: “WE TAKE FROM YOU THE SHEPHERD’S STAFF, TO INDICATE THAT YOU NO LONGER HAVE ANY CLAIM TO THE PASTORAL OFFICE YOU HAVE MISMANAGED.”
- Next, the assistants take off the degradandus’ gloves, after which the degradator lightly scrapes the man’s thumbs and hands with a little knife or a piece of glass, saying: “TO THE FULL EXTENT OF OUR POWERS, WE HEREWITH DEPRIVE YOU OF THE POWER TO SPIRITUALLY BLESS AND MYSTICALLY ANOINT, AND HEREBY REMOVE YOU FROM ANY OFFICE TO WHICH THIS POWER IS ATTACHED.”
- Next, with the same knife or glass, the degradator lightly scrapes the degradandus’ head, saying: “WE HEREWITH COMPLETELY ERASE THE CONSECRATION, THE BLESSING AND THE ANOINTING PREVIOUSLY BESTOWED UPON YOU, AND WE HEREWITH EXPEL YOU FROM THE PONTIFICAL ORDER FOR WHICH YOU PROVED YOURSELF UNFIT.”
- Next, the assistants remove the degradandus’ shoes.
And they knew not till the flood came, and took them all away;
so also shall the coming of the Son of man be.
For information on many cases of liturgical abuse within the Catholic church, including cases of high-profile Catholic clerics involved in illicit sexual relations, false prophets, thieves, heretics and schismatics who infiltrated the Holy Catholic Church and its establishments, please visit Vox Cantoris and its network of the traditional Catholic websites.
You must speak freely in condemnation of the professed enemies of God and His Church, heretics and schismatics, — it is true charity to point out the wolf wheresoever he creeps in among the flock. ~ Saint Francis de Sales.